There is nothing like real whipped cream! It is the perfect addition to any holiday dessert, but you can usually only make it two hours before you need to serve it! Very inconvenient if you are already running around the kitchen preparing a big holiday meal!
This Make Ahead Whipped Cream recipe allows you to prepare it up to three days in advance! Your guest will be impressed when you serve this homemade delight with your dessert! You can even use it to ice a cake, Just remember it is still fresh whipped cream. It should not be left out of the refrigerator for more than a couple of hours.
Update: I recently made a big batch of this for a celebration and it was still perfect 5 days after I made it!
Make Ahead Whipped Cream Recipe
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3-5 cups cold heavy cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3-6 tablespoons of confectioners’sugar (optional)
- Place your whisk and mixing bowl (if possible) into the freezer.
- Pour 3/4 cup of the cream in a saucepan and stir in cornstarch.
- Heat mixture over a medium heat and bring to a boil while stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Allow mixture to cool completely. I prefer to transfer it to a metal bowl and place it into the refrigerator to help it cool faster (approximately 15 minutes).
- Remove whisk and mixing bowl from freezer and pour remaining cream, 2 1/4 cups – 4 1/4 cups, into the mixing bowl.
- If adding sugar, sprinkle confectioners’sugar over cream.
- Whisk the cream and sugar on medium for approximately 2 minutes. The cream will begin to thicken and tracks will form.
- While continuing to mix, add the cooled cornstarch mixture to the cream by the tablespoon.
- Continue to whisk until soft peaks form (as pictured; approximately 2 more minutes)
Three cups of cream makes a bit more than a tub of cool whip. Refrigerated in an airtight container for up to three days.