There have been so many great CVS coupons recently, that some of you might be thinking about giving CVS a try. CVS is a great place to start the drug store game. You can not get all the deals you can get at Walgreens, but their system is well designed and has very few quirks. Once you get the hang of CVS, you will have very few problems.
CVS’ Reward program gives you Extra Care Bucks or ECB’s. ECB’s work like cash that you can spend in the store however you want. Always remember to have the cashier scan your Extra Care card first so you never miss out on the Extra Care Bucks!
There are four ways to earn ECB’s:
1. You will earn 2% cash back on every purchase in store and online. Every three months these Extra Bucks will print out at the end of your receipt.
2. You can also earn one Extra Care buck for every two prescriptions purchased in the store or online.
3. You can earn one Extra Care buck for every four times you use your Green Bag Tag.
4. You earn Extra Care Bucks by purchasing items that give you ECB’s when you purchase them. Tip: Almost every week there are promotions where a product is FREE after ECB’s meaning if you purchased something for $6.99 you would get $6.99 back in ECB’s. These will always print out at the end of your receipt after your transaction is finished.
Shopping CVS Step by Step:
1. The first step is to get your CVS Extra Care card. I would recommend getting it in the store. They always have a nice, big stack by the register. This way you can start shopping right away. You can also request one online, but then you have to wait for it to come in the mail.
2. Register your card. This can also be done in the store or online. Once your card is registered and you sign up for email, CVS will send you great coupons like $4/$20 and even some freebies!
3. Prepare your shopping list ahead of time. I usually post the CVS coupon match-up Saturday night. Read over this, select the items you want to buy and get together all your coupons.
4. When you arrive at the store go straight to the CRT machine. Scan your CVS card at the machine (this is my kids favorite part). The CRT machine gives you additional coupons to use now or on a later visit.
6. Before you checkout, put your coupons in this order:
• First, give them the $/$$ ($4/$20. $3/$15. etc…) store coupon. Your total will be lower after manufacturer and additional store coupons, so it is important to give this coupon first!
• Next, give all your CVS product coupons
• Then, give the manufacturers coupons
• Last, give your Extra Care Bucks
7. Have the cashier scan your Extra Care card.
8. After the cashier scans your items, have them scan your Green Bag Tag. Read more about Green Bag Tags here.
9. Give the cashier all your coupons in order.
10. Collect and save your Extra Care Bucks for your next shopping trip!
Remember, start small. My suggestion would be to look at the deals listed and choose an item that gives you all your money back in ECB’s. You will have to put money out the first time, but from then on you should be able to roll those bucks into more and more deals. Don’t try to do long complicated deals until you get the hang of it.
Remember, questions are always welcome. If you are confused about something, someone else probably is too.
All store guides are based on my personal shopping experience and my knowledge of store policy. Stores may change their policies at anytime and it is always best to check with your local store regarding their policies.